Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Why I Got A Tattoo


I did the thing. I went to a tattoo parlor and got the words of C.S. Lewis permanently etched into my skin. Now, why would I do such a thing? Sure, I love C.S. Lewis to death, and going on the C.S. Lewis tour in Northern Ireland heightened my love for him, but that was not the main reason. Sure, my friends and I dressed as the Pevensie children freshman year, and yes I was Lucy, but that's not entirely it either.

The truth is sometimes life is extremely difficult. Sometimes I am weighed down by what life has to offer, and staying in bed all day sounds quite nice indeed, and what do I even have to get up for anyway. I was the person in high school who drew smiley faces on the calendar if I had a good day, because most days I needed the reminder that I could have a good one.

In C. S. Lewis' novel, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," There is a passage where Lucy is on Caspian's boat near an island where all your dreams come true.This sounds nice at first, until they all realized all the nightmares they had had, and how those are the kinds of dreams coming true. This is what it's like to be struggling. All the nightmares you could imagine are starting to creep onto the boat, their scratches inching closer in the darkness. During this time of terror, Lucy asks for Aslan to save them, that if he ever loved them wouldn't he please save them? That's when a great albatross crosses the sky and says to Lucy, "Courage, dear heart." And at once Lucy knew it was Aslan, and the sky went from black, to gray, to blue. She was safe, and the darkness was gone.

This is why I have my tattoo. It is a permanent reminder that yes, life can suck and be the most terrifying thing, but that I am not alone. My God loves me, and I can take comfort in that. True, it may be very hard sometimes to see that I am not alone, or that continuing on is for the best, but this is why it's etched into me. I never want to forget the love of my God, or how he saves.

If anything, my tattoo may as well be a dare. When things get dark and intimidating, I dare myself to take on courage and keep going. I know a lot of others struggle with depression and anxiety. My heart goes out to you all, as a person who has had a panic attack in a Walmart parking lot, I know these things are hard and inconvenient. Even so, perhaps take up this challenge with me; tattoo optional. Just take a few moments and will yourself to be courageous, and maybe we can get through this crazy life together if you like.

Feel free to send me questions, my life should be an open book.
I love you all,
Alisha

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this... it was really encouraging to me, and I never knew you struggled with facing life at times. I left JBU because of it and continue to struggle daily. I could not think of a more lovely or meaningful tattoo. Thank you for making a difference in this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could encourage you! I think there does seem to be a don't speak don't tell rule that seems to apply to with depression and anxiety, and I wish that weren't so. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment, and I hope the best for you as you journey through life. Love you lots!

      Delete